REVIEW: NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams in San Paulo, Milan, Istanbul and Tokyo

Tuesday, March 31, 2015


These NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream are all over Instagram, and they often make appearances in those non-tutorial lip color application vids. I caved in and bought four of them to try out: San Paulo, Milan, Istanbul and Tokyo. Here's what happened. 

Description

These lip creams claim to go on silky smooth and lightweight, leaving a matte finish that won't dry out your lips. 

Packaging

The lip creams are housed in plastic tubes with doe foot applicators. 


Color and Pigmentation

San Paulo is a very bright, reddish pink. It brightens up my whole face. 
Milan is a cool, subtle, deep hot pink that's wearable for everyday. 
Istanbul is a warm, pinky beige that looks like it could be a my-lips-but-better shade. 
Tokyo is a pale, milky pink that washes out my neutral-medium skin tone. 

All four were incredibly pigmented to swatch, but Tokyo had a bit of a hard time appearing on my lips. 



Formula and Wearability

The soft matte lip creams have a light, creamy formula that sets into a matte, powdery finish. They remind me a lot of the YSL Kiss and Blush line, which are also supposed to be matte lip colors, but these seem to be much more pigmented on the lips. The lip creams went on smooth, but had a tendency to emphasize the lines on the lips, particularly Istanbul and Tokyo. 

Top Row, from left to right: NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams in Istanbul and Tokyo, Bottom row: Milan, San Paulo
I found that I had to layer on the colors to get an intense shade. This wasn't a problem with San Paulo and Milan since they were dark colors, but Tokyo was definitely a struggle to apply evenly. The lighter colors, expectedly, were less forgiving and less apt at concealing my lip imperfections.

In regards to staying power, performance varied. The light colors lasted me about 3 hours while the darker ones could last 5 hours and beyond depending on what I'm eating/drinking.

I like to wear the dark shades as a stain. They really are light weight--most of the time I forgot I was even wearing them! 

The lip creams were neither drying nor hydrating. 

Top Row, from left to right: NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams in Istanbul and Tokyo, Bottom row: Milan, San Paulo


Grade

San Paulo: A
Milan: A
Istanbul: C+
Tokyo: C-

The darker colors were my faves because they were much more long-lasting and easy to layer on evenly than the lighter shades. Although I loved how Istanbul looked on me, I was disappointed by how quickly it settled onto the lines of my lips. Tokyo also tended to settle AND was difficult to layer, so it was my least favorite of the bunch.

Even though I wasn't crazy about the lighter shades, I think I will probably purchase more colors, but definitely only darker ones. 

Anyone have a shade of lip cream to recommend? 

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER