REVIEW: Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour in Curvy Contour

Sunday, February 22, 2015


I'll admit it: I'm pretty clueless about contouring. It seems like an easy technique to do when you watch all the makeup artists demonstrate on 14-year-old models who are already genetically blessed with high, razor-sharp cheekbones, because all they have to do is trace obvious shadows. But I, on the other hand, have flat, fat cheeks, and it's always a challenge for me to place the contouring powder in the right area without creating a streaky mess. As you might guess, I usually skip contouring unless I have a LOT of patience that day and a LOT of time on my hands.

However, this Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour in Curvy Contour, which I purchased last week, piqued my interest because of its formula. I had never tried a cream to contour before, and thought, why not? It seems like it would be easier to blend, and, best of all, there's no brush required! Here's what I thought about it after I tested it out:



Description

One of the more popular products in Clinique's cosmetic line is its chubby sticks, which includes Chubby Sticks for the lips (the original Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm), eyes (Shadow Tints) and cheeks (Cheek Balms). I've tried the Lip Colour Balm and Shadow Tints, and they both boast lightweight, comfortable formulas. 

Clinique's Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour is Clinique's first contouring product. It claims to be long-lasting and is meant to sculpt the hollows of the cheeks and the jawline. 

Color and Pigmentation

Swatch of Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour in Curvy Contour
As of now, the only contour shade available is Curvy Contour. It is a medium-toned orange-brown shade that is supposed to be matte, but I do detect a little bit of sheen from it in swatches. It has good pigmentation and leaves a light stain if you try to blend it out after it sets. Personally, I thought the contouring color was a little bit too warm-toned for my skin tone, and I would've liked an option that was neutral or more of a grayish brown. 

Formula and Wearability

Left: How I hold Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour to define my cheekbones, Right: My cheeks after contouring
If I remember correctly, the formula is very similar to the Shadow Tints. The consistency is light and kind of feels like a cross between a gel and cream product. It's as blendable as a cream but it's still thin and lightweight.

For my face shape and face size, I found that it was better for me to use the sides of the Chubby Stick as opposed to the tip when contouring my cheekbones. By using the sides, I applied less product and was able to create finer, more precise contouring shadows on my cheeks. When I used the tip of the stick, which is quite wide (about 3/4 of an inch), I always ended up applying too much product and creating larger contouring shadows. 

The only time I ever used the tip of the Chubby Stick directly on my face was for when I defined my jawline. I skipped contouring my temples since I have a narrow forehead (how I wish I could pull off huge bangs!). 

This product lasted the whole day on my skin. I asked friends if they noticed anything different about my makeup while wearing this, and they didn't, so I'm guessing it looked natural?! 

Grade

B+

Performance-wise, I think this is a good contouring product. It's blendable, light and long-lasting, so I think people with oily and dry skin would appreciate this. My main qualm is the width. If Clinique took down the size just a little, I think it would be a more versatile product--for people of all cheek sizes! And it wouldn't hurt if they came out with more colors as well, although I do think Curvy Contour would suit a lot of different skin tones. 

Have any of you tried the Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour? 

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER