REVIEW and SWATCHES: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel

Wednesday, January 21, 2015


Rounding out my current collection of NARS Audacious Lipsticks is "Raquel," which NARS describes as a pink beige. At a glance, this shade looks exactly like my cup of tea. I love nude pink lip colors. They're natural-looking, they add some subtle color to my face, and they're easy to apply without having to deal with the staining issues that come with deeper lip colors.

However, nude pink lip colors don't always love me. You'll find out why after checking out my review and swatches after the jump.



My Thoughts on NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel

"Raquel" is a very pale beige pink. It's creamy, glides on easily, doesn't dry out my lips and has pretty good staying power (about 6 hours). It also goes fully opaque on my lips in one swipe, which I love. But two things disappointed me about the color: its tendency to accentuate the lines on my lips, and the fact that the color is pale, sooo pale. The former is probably due to the very light-colored formula, and the latter is probably due to the deceptive lighting at Sephora and also my failure to believe other bloggers when they claimed that "Raquel" is light. Sooooo light. Too light (for me).



As you can see below, swatched on the inside of my forearm, "Raquel" looks like a very pretty, nude pink. But the inside of my forearm is so much paler than my face. So when worn on my lips, "Raquel" really washed me out. (For reference, I'm wearing Covergirl Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation in Medium Beige in the photo below, and I'm about an NW25 in MAC Studio Tech and NW23 in Studio Fix.) It's not the lipstick's fault, of course, since I chose to take it home, but for those of you who have more light-to-medium skin, definitely think twice before purchasing this unless you want to go for the my-lips-are-basically-the-same-color-as-my-skin-look. I, unfortunately, am not a fan of that look, BUT if you happen to be a fair-skinned princess, by all means, go for it! I think Raquel would look stunning on you.


Final Verdict

B

I'm mostly pleased with the performance of the lipstick, but I took points off since the lip color accentuated the lines on my lips. I recommend this only if you have fair skin, though, since the shade is very light.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a helpful review. I love nude-pink shades also. Btw, love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER