HAUL: Sulwhasoo Skin Care

Friday, September 12, 2014


In spite of taking almost 40 minutes on some mornings to do my make up (I blame you, tricky cat eyes, for sucking up all my precious time!), I usually have quite a simple skin care routine. My steps: cleanse, moisturize, and then use pimple cream at night or sunscreen in the morning. Once in a while, I'd exfoliate with a scrub and on rare occasions, I'd use a mask. Even then, I thought I was doing too much.

But after a free Sulwhasoo facial at Bergdorf Goodman less than a month ago with one of my colleagues (she surprised me with it! :)), I learned the ways of Korean skincare. . . and bought a ton of stuff.

Sulwhasoo's brand philosophy is basically this: to get great skin, you need to balance the Yin and the Yang (opposite energies) in your complexion. To do this, Sulwhasoo fills their products with high quality herbs, particularly Jaeumdan, which is extracted from Small Solomon’s seal, Adhesive Rehmannia, White Lily, Chinese Peony, and East Indian Lotus, and Jaeumboweedan, which extracts seven Korean medicinal herbs in balance.

And like many Asian skin care brands, Sulwhasoo encourages a preventative approach to dealing with skin aging with a multi-step beauty routine that would make most Americans spit their coffee. I'm talking using 8 or so products both morning and evening in addition to using weekly masks. Feeling curious and wayyyy too relaxed after my facial, I decided to purchase a few items from the Sulwhasoo counter. Here's what I hauled:




1. Essential Balancing Water and Essential Balancing Emulsion from the Essential Balancing Set ($109, Bergdorf Goodman). The balancing water is a toner you apply with your hands, and the balancing emulsion is a light lotion for the face. No side effects so far, the products don't make my skin produce extra oil, and the stuff smells very nice! The set also included samples of the Essential Balancing Water, Essential Balancing Emulsion, First Care Activating Serum (a product you're supposed to use before all your creams and serums), Essential Renewing Eye Cream and Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Cream, all of which I haven't laid a hand on yet.

2. Essential Renewing Eye Cream (for some reason, it says "Rejuvenating" instead of "Renewing" on the package) ($109, Bergdorf Goodman). This cream is more like a milky, hydrating serum, rather than a cream, on my skin. Some days I notice a difference on my eye area, and sometimes I don't?!

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I think just the act of putting these products on my face gets me really hopeful about having great skin later on. Maybe the hope alone will give me better skin? Oh well.This stuff makes my skin feel very nice, soft and well taken care of. And yes, it is quite expensive, so I definitely suggest doing your research before purchasing (or buying samples on Ebay instead). 

Have you ever tried anything from Sulwhasoo? Is there a way you can prevent me from purchasing the rest of the Sulwhasoo line? (Because I'll do it.)

And in case you were wondering about my facial experience. . .

via Instagram

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER