Asian Grocery Store Beauty Haul

Tuesday, September 2, 2014


A few days ago I headed to my favorite Japanese grocery store to munch on delicious Japanese food (I got a chicken cutlet with rice, miso soup and a whole bunch of other small-portioned foods) and wander aimlessly through the food aisles. Naturally, I ended up spending most of my time in the beauty sections gazing and wondering at the selection of cutely packaged products--and then eventually buying stuff.

The whole experience felt exciting and dangerous. Since most of the writing on the packaging was in Japanese, a language I cannot speak or read, I had no clue whether the products were for my skin type or hair type. For all I knew, I could have been buying super kawaii rat poison! But according to reassuring Google searches, that was not the case.

Here's what I ended up purchasing:

1) Shiseido Super Mild Shampoo

I've heard good things about Shiseido's cheaper line in Asia, which also includes hair care, but I hadn't noticed their shampoos at the grocery store I go to until a few days ago. I initially wanted to buy the Tsubaki hair care products, but a few too many bad online reviews scared me away from doing that. Instead, I looked to the Japanese girl also browsing the shampoo aisle, and YES I DID JUST COPY HER AND BUY WHAT SHE BOUGHT.

Description from Amazon:
  • Double super moist vitamin E protects your hair from dryness and friction.
  • Protection AMT prevents nutrients in the hair to flow out while washing.
  • The creamy lather gently washes hair, leaving it smooth and silky.
  • Clean, mild fragrance makes it perfect for men and women.
I've used this just once, and it smelled nice--not too strong. My hair is still on my head. So I guess it was a successful purchase? Who am I kidding? I am not that picky with hair products, apparently.


2) Plastic bunny-shaped soap dish

No need for a lengthy description here. I just bought this because I needed a soap dish, and this is freaking cute. Good thing I didn't buy those blah square ones at Target. Side note: this probably cost me $10.


  3) Heart-shaped cleansing sponge made out of vegetable fiber

I've recently been into Konjac cleansing sponges. They've left my skin super soft and glowy after every use, and they never scrub too harshly. Unfortunately, my last sponge was used while I was developing a nasty fever, so I am planning to toss that one out. Good thing I spotted this sponge  made out of vegetable fiber [Same thing right? RIGHT?!?] for half the price of my old Konjac one. Here's to a lovely three months with you![Please don't break me out. Please don't break me out.]


 4) Lower eyelash curler

Japanese girls are obsessed with having full lashes. Seriously. There's about half an aisle dedicated to mascara and false lashes at the grocery store I went to. And those imported Japanese products were NOT cheap. I decided to get this curler in hopes of getting that pretty, doe-eyed look. I tried this already on my lower lashes, and it was kind of scary at first, but I'm getting used to it. It works really well at curling inner and outer lashes, though--lashes my curler always seems to miss.


 5) Mesh Foaming Soap Baggie

Ok, this was pretty unnecessary. Using my soap bar and a wash cloth works just fine for me in the shower. But this little baggie makes lathering up and exfoliating so much easier.


Now excuse me while I spend ridiculous amounts of time in the shower. . .

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER