REVIEW: Clinique Cheek Pop in Ginger Pop

Wednesday, August 20, 2014


Back in the olden times (the early nineties, when the iPhone did NOT exist and people communicated with each other via letters and face-to-face contact), getting to accompany my mom to the Clinique counter was a huge treat. The rainbow of eye shadows and lip colors, the skin care and crazy promises, the fragrances and those seemingly happy, flawless models in the product display ads--they all fascinated me to death. And if I could just get my hands on some of their makeup, little me truly believed I'd be in for some magical, beautifying life changes.

My mom, of course, wouldn't let me get near her Clinique stash when we got home (although I did find ways to put on her makeup secretly). In some ways, I have a need to thank her for not allowing a six-year-old to go to Catholic school wearing lipstick (her signature color is Raisin) and blue eyeshadow. In other ways, I feel like I really lost out on those early years of experimenting with and learning about Clinique's entire line. Hey, product knowledge is power!

Now that I'm older, I have all the freedom in the world to experiment with and read about Clinique and other brands as much as I want. My latest Clinique purchase?: a floral-patterned blush from their Cheek Pop line. I bought the blush in the shade Ginger Pop ($21, clinique.com). Find out how it went after the jump.

Description

From the Clinique website:
"Vibrant yet natural-looking cheek colour that looks virtually powderless. In a silky smooth, stay-true formula with shades for every skin tone. That just-pinched look, simply effortless."
Packaging


The Cheek Pop blushes are packaged in clear plastic containers that snap shut. I like that the packaging shows off how beautiful the floral shape of the blush is inside. Also, the pan easily accommodates a blush brush.

Before purchasing this blush, the only Clinique blushes I remembered encountering were the retro ones (Soft-press blusher) in green compacts. I think this packaging is much more modern, interesting and youthful-looking than the blushes from their other blush lines. 

Color and Pigmentation

Although the pan suggests a deeper coral color, "Ginger Pop" blends into a luminous, light coral pink with soft, but buildable pigmentation. 



Formula and Wearability

"Ginger Pop" blended well into my skin. It went on my cheeks very smoothly, and it was easy to layer. It lasted a full 8 hours on me while I was at work. However, when I left my office to brave the really really hot weather, the blush, unfortunately, did not make it to the 12th hour. Still, the wear time is good.


Grade

A

"Ginger Pop" pleasantly surprised me, and for this reason, I think I may slowly be starting a renewed Clinique obsession. In the pan, I thought the blush would look too orange or warm-toned on me, but blended on my skin, "Ginger Pop" looked very pretty and natural-looking. I think both warm- and cool-toned people would really like this blush, both for the shade, staying power and ease of use.

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER