REVIEW: Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Lip Color in Carliana

Monday, September 2, 2013

 

Bold lips are huge again this fall, and one lip color I've noticeably been missing in my collection is a classic, bold, bright red. I'm very used to giving my eyes, lips and cheeks pretty much equal attention in the makeup department, but the bold lip requires some bravery on the wearer's part. One must downplay her eyes and cheeks in order to avoid looking like that makeup lady who caked on a bunch of products on her face. I'm talking minimal eye makeup (except mascara) and barely there blush to keep the focus on the lips.

Fortunately, yesterday I was finally able to put myself to the test to rock red lips when I tried out Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Lip Color in Carliana ($34), which I received as a freebie some months ago. Read on for my review, more pics and swatches.

Description

From the Nordstrom website:
"A velvet color formula packaged in a sleek magnetic component. Full, radiant color and an ultra-moisturizing formula all add up to color perfection for your lips."
Packaging

 

The lipstick is housed in a sleek, metal container. The body of the lipstick is gold and the cap is an ombre burgundy shimmer that becomes black. Very chic. Compared to most lipsticks on the market, the height of the lipstick tube is short.


Pigmentation

"Carliana" is a a bright, slightly warm-toned red. In one swipe, it is semi opaque, but the color is buildable and becomes opaque in a few swipes.

Formula

The formula is creamy and lightweight, and it glides nicely over the lips. It has a berry scent.


Wearability

I tested "Carliana" for eight hours. It needed minimal touch-ups after eating since it does transfer. However, if you are very careful about what you eat, "Carliana" can last hours and hours, especially since it leaves a nice even stain. I did not touch up my lips for eight hours, and while my upper lip color had noticeably faded, my bottom lip looked fine, with just the tiniest amount of feathering. I didn't find the lipstick to be moisturizing or drying at the end of the day.

Grade

B+

Even though there was a tiny amount of feathering, I still think the formula of the lipstick and staying power is wonderful. The brightness of the lipstick prevents me from making this an every day lip color, but I can see myself sporting bold lips on special occasions. I recommend it if you're looking to splurge!

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER