Unexpected Summer Sickness?: My Beauty Routine for the Past 10 Days

Monday, June 24, 2013


For the past ten days, I’ve been battling an unexpected sickness affecting my sinuses and resulting in a sore throat and congestion. I can’t remember the last time I was sick in June, but I guess this is payback from nature for not getting the worst of allergies last spring. When I am sick, I still wear makeup because I want to look polished at work and at events.

However, my makeup approach has to change for several reasons. First off, I have to be careful with the makeup I use because I don’t want to contaminate the makeup I will want to use when I’m healed, such as my favorite makeup products or more expensive products. I also don’t want to waste makeup that will fade away easily because I’m taking care of my sickness (for example, wearing full foundation when you’ll be wiping it away anyway when you blow your nose, ew). And lastly, I try to reach for cheaper, easily replaceable products to help me look less sick.

Here’s what I’ve been doing to keep me looking somewhat healthy:

  • Using a sheer foundation instead of something with heavier coverage. As I mentioned already, when sheer foundation fades away, it’s less noticeable and more forgiving.
  • Opting for a long-wearing lip color. I’ve reached for many tissues this past week. To avoid unnecessary touch-ups of my lip color, I often used a long-wearing lip color like Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in Pink (which I will be replacing soon enough).
  • Wearing a long-lasting, brighter blush to combat paleness. I am wearing MAC blush in Pink Swoon in the photo below, but NARS blushes also do an amazing job of making me not look like a ghost, and they last forever!
  • Moisturizing! While sick, I definitely noticed fewer zits. Not gonna complain about that! But I still made sure to moisturize my skin, especially around my nose. 
Is this the face of someone with congestion and a scary cough? YES. And yes, that is Zayn Malik from One Direction smiling at you from the top left corner :D
 The effects of my sickness on the makeup I use:
  • I tried to avoid using cream products or liquids that weren’t in containers that could be cleaned easily. For example, I tried not to use any lip glosses or cream eye shadows for the past week and instead stuck to powders.
  • I still used lipsticks because those are easier to clean. I will just be wiping away the top layer and dipping them in rubbing alcohol.
  • I still used mascara, only because my mascara had to be replaced anyway. 
  • As for eyeliner, I used a cheaper but good eyeliner to define my eyes. Pictured above, I'm wearing NYX Glossy Brown Liner, definitely a new eyeliner fave! 
  • I will be scraping off the top layer of the shadows and powders I’ve been using.
  • As for brushes, I’ll be following this brush cleansing routine!
The meds I bought did not help, so there’s my $30 down the drain. Realizing this, I started trying more natural remedies. In case you were curious, when it came to actually treating my sickness, I did a lot of the following:
  • Sipping a cup of hot water with half a lemon’s worth of juice and about two tablespoons of honey. This is great for dealing with congestion ew ew ew.  
  • Using those kinda-scary yet super helpful salt water sinus washes. I only used the sinus wash twice a day for about 3 days, and I really think it cut down on extra days of having a runny nose. Woot!
And this: 
  • Using Puffs tissues with Vicks. This is genius, and I really think it helped me breathe better! Plus, there’s lotion! So smart! But DON’T make the mistake of using these around your eye.
 Do any of you have a different makeup strategy when illness strikes? Let me know!                            

2 comments:

  1. Aww I hope you get better soon! And that's a pretty great idea being careful with which makeup to use when sick. For me though, I don't think I could even bother putting on makeup when I'm sick. I'm too tired to try and attempt it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am feeling much better! Lol I feel like I have to wear makeup everyday to work to look presentable, especially at events! :)

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER