Thursday, June 6, 2013

REVIEW: Topshop Matte Finish Lipstick in Whimsical

 

I typically don't buy makeup at stores that sell clothes (H&M, Forever 21, etc.), but Topshop is an entirely different story. First off, it's a British brand, and in a weird way, buying anything from them is my way of feeling hip and European. Secondly, there are so few Topshop stores in the US that snagging anything from them still feels like you got your hands on something special. Thirdly, and most importantly, I've been lucky enough to try some of the Topshop makeup line at work, and I was quite impressed. Last weekend, as I was strolling through SoHo, I decided to pick up a couple of lipsticks from Topshop to add to my growing lipstick collection. In this post, I will be discussing Topshop Matte Finish Lipstick in Whimsical ($16 at Topshop stores or topshop.com), which I purchased with my apparently still valid student ID.

Description

From the Topshop website:
"Velvet finish lipstick to smooth, moisturize and nourish lips. Apply for fabulous color and moisturized, matte finish, wear alone or with gloss for a shiny finish."
Packaging

The lipstick comes in a sturdy metal lipstick container that snaps shut.


 
Pigmentation 

Whimsical is a light salmon pink with opaque coverage in one swatch. It has a matte finish.

 

Ease of Use

This lipstick was tricky to apply evenly, so I suggest you blend the color with your finger after applying. The color also quickly settled into the lines on my lips--a huge no-no! If you have very dry lips and you want to pull-off this color, I highly recommend exfoliating with a lip scrub, because this pale lip color will not do a good job of masking any lip imperfections.

Wear 

Whimsical felt light and moisturizing on the lips. Unfortunately, it started to fade after just two hours and required touching-up multiple times during the day.

 

Grade 

C

Whimsical is a lovely color that felt comfortable and moisturizing on the lips, but that's where the positives end. The formula settled into the ridges on my lips immediately, and the color was difficult to apply evenly. Add to that, this lipstick started fading after just two hours. It's such a shame since I love the salmon pink color on my skin tone!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, that color is suits your skin tone perfectly! I don't expect much from make-up from clothing stores either, so definitely not surprised that it didn't last long. At least it was moisturizing and pretty!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Thanks for your comment! I'll try to see how I can make the formula work for me by layering it on top of other products, haha. --Mari :)

      Delete
  2. What a cute natural colour, looks great on your lips :o)

    Lovely greetz from germany.

    xoxo
    Ina :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ina! Thanks so much! Would you like to follow each other on Google Friend Connect? Let me know. Have a great day! :) --Mari

      Delete