REVIEW: Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in Vanilla 5

Friday, June 7, 2013

 

When I began experimenting with makeup and wearing it to school, it was all about eyes and eyebrows for me. I'd go to class with my eyes traced with black pencil liner (it was all the rage in the 2000's) and my sparse eyebrows shaded in clumsily. Then I started getting into foundation. Then gloss. Then lipstick. Then blush. Embarrassingly, I never thought of looking into concealer until one fateful day during an international Skype session with my cousin when she innocently/conveniently pointed out that I was looking tired (I had a blurry camera too :/). At the time, I was mid-way through college, and while I typically slept a little less than the recommended 8 hours a day, I didn't think it had a huge impact on my skin. Years later, based on what I've read about dark circles and my sleepy eyes condition, I can try to guess the source of my dark circles--genes and not drinking enough water.

Since then, I've been on a quest to find a good concealer, particularly one that can stay put on my oily skin.With summer approaching very soon on the East Coast, I decided to try out the much hyped Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer ($32) which I purchased in Vanilla 5. Read on for swatches and my full review.

Description

From the Sephora website:
"An ultra long-lasting, matte finish, oil-free, waterproof, full coverage concealer."
Packaging

This concealer is packaged in a plastic tube with a tiny nozzle that allows you to control how much product you dispense.


Pigmentation and Formula

Vanilla 5 is very pigmented and comes off as a neutral to warm beige color. The color is so pigmented I can see it covering blemishes and scars. Although I'm used to using concealers with thinner consistencies, the formula of this concealer was not too difficult to work with. I just had to blend faster than usual.


Wear

This concealer covered my dark circles quite well and lasted the entire day. I tested this concealer on two separate occasions--a cool day and a very hot day. On both days, the concealers creased after at least two hours. As you can see from the picture below, the fine lines under my eyes were showing through, which is probably due to the drier formula of this concealer. Usually, I get creasing by my lower lash line, but with this concealer, I found even more creasing below that area. If you have very dry skin below your eyes, I suggest you moisturize the area first, because this concealer is not forgiving to fine lines. In addition, on the hot day, the concealer smudged a bit while I was touching up my face with a powder puff.


 

Grade

B

Overall, this is a decent concealer for the coverage and wear time. I was turned off by the creasing and the way that it seemed to emphasize fine lines below my eyes later in the day. Having oily skin, creasing happens with every concealer I use. However, since the formula was so dry, I noticed it creasing in areas that don't normally crease when I use a more moisturizing formula.

Have any of you tried this concealer? What's your take on it?

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER