REVIEW: Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in 18 Coral

Tuesday, June 11, 2013


When I really, REALLY don't want my lip color to budge, Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge is one of the products I turn to. From my experience with other shades, this is a lip product that you apply once and can mostly forget about for the rest of the day. With opaque coverage to boot, it's my kind of product! So I was definitely biased when I purchased the Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in 18 Coral ($24 at Sephora) as part of my summer beauty haul. Read on for swatches and my full review! 

Description

From the Sephora website:
"A liquid lip color that provides the intense and long-lasting hold of a lipstain with the eye-catching shine of a gloss. . . Formulated with a combination of high molecular weight polymers and volatile oils, Aqua Rouge locks color on the lips for a smudge-proof result that will not transfer or fade. Its extremely pigmented formula provides immediate, opaque color with extreme shine, and its creamy, non-sticky texture glides effortlessly on the lips for comfortable wear.
Packaging

The Aqua Rouge is housed in a double-ended tube with one side containing the lip color and one side containing the clear gloss. There lip color side has a doe-foot applicator, while the gloss side has a brush.

 

Pigmentation and Formula

18 Coral is a bright coral that looks more red. Characteristic to all Aqua Rouges, this shade is very pigmented. When the lip color dries, it becomes matte but not to the point that it is drying, although the lips do feel tighter. The clear gloss has a great consistency--lightweight, non-sticky and stays in place. To avoid that tight feeling in the lips, I suggest you always wear the gloss on top. It makes a huge difference! 

To make sure the color applied evenly, I had to work quickly and swipe the color across my lips. This is not the kind of lip color for those who like to take their time sculpting their lip shape. I, for example, like to define my cupid's bow area first, and then fill in the sides of my lips when applying lipstick. That strategy doesn't work for this lip color since it dries very fast, so you first have to make sure you coat your entire lip evenly--and let it dry--before building up color with another layer.
 

Wearing just the lip color

With the clear gloss on top

Wear Time 

This lip color remained on my lips for the entire day except for when I ate greasy foods. The greasy foods caused the lip color to budge in the center of my lips, but it wasn't extremely noticeable. I just had to clean it up with a napkin, but I didn't necessarily have to reapply. Otherwise, this lip color is quite long-lasting, so much so that you'll need a good makeup remover--or a cotton ball soaked in olive oil--to take off this lip color.

Grade

B+

This is a very long-lasting, highly pigmented lip color--if you avoid greasy foods. The faster time required to apply the product may take some getting used to, and the tight feeling in the lips when wearing the lip color alone may turn off some people. (Always top with gloss, if that's the case!) But overall, it's one of the better long-lasting lip colors I've tried.

Have you tried an Aqua Rouge? What was your experience like?

2 comments:

  1. Oooh that's a pretty color! How is the moisturizing factor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not moisturizing, but it's not drying either. You should definitely exfoliate before wearing the lip color. The gloss helps if you want your lips to feel more soft :)

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER