REVIEW: E.L.F. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in St. Lucia

Wednesday, May 8, 2013


As I mentioned in a previous post, last month I dropped by E.L.F. Studio in the village and purchased several budget-friendly goodies, including this E.L.F. Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in St. Lucia ($3, Target). As a fan of NARS, I know this is supposed to be a dupe of their Orgasm Blush/Laguna Bronzer duo. While I don't have that specific product, I do have the Orgasm Blush/Laguna Bronzer/Albatross Highlight Blush Powder. Read on for my thoughts.

Description

From the eyeslipsface.com website:
"Create a healthy and natural glow all year long with the Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder. The Blush highlights the cheeks to add a flush of color, while the Bronzer accents and contours cheekbones for beautiful definition. This convenient compact has just what you need to achieve a gorgeous glow anytime, anywhere." 
Packaging

The blush/bronzer comes in packaging structured just like NARS blushes and eyeshadows, meaning they open from the center, with a mirror on the inside. Unlike NARS packaging, which is cushioned, the packaging for this product is matte and plastic. 


Pigmentation

The blush is a shimmery light peachy pink with a hint of gold, and has decent pigmentation.

The bronzer is a matte medium golden brown, and is extremely pigmented.


Based on the swatches alone, it's easy to tell that the NARS blush/bronzer duo and the ELF blush/bronzer duo are not dupes, except for the packaging. NARS Orgasm is much more pigmented and reddish with noticeable gold shimmer. The ELF blush is a soft, shimmery peachy-pink shade. As for the ELF bronzer, it is significantly darker than NARS Laguna, and is much more matte as well. 

From left to right: NARS Orgasm Blush, E.L.F. Blush, E.L.F. Bronzer, NARS Bronzer in Laguna

Wearability

I was impressed by the wear of this product. I wore this product for nine hours and barely noticed any fading on my cheeks. However, the light blush/dark bronzer color combination might be problematic for some people. I prefer a light blush/light bronzer color combo for a more natural look. I loved the blush and thought the color looked amazing on my neutral skintone, but when I applied the bronzer to contour my cheeks, I found that it was much darker than I'd like. I imagine people with darker skin would love the darker bronzer, but I think, in turn, they'd be disappointed with the significantly lighter (but pretty) in comparison blush shade.




Grade


This blush gets high points for wear. However, I think the contrast between the lighter blush/dark, highly-pigmented bronzer might turn off a lot of people who would otherwise appreciate the two powders separately. If you can learn to work with the different levels of pigmentation of the blush and bronzer, this product is definitely a steal!

2 comments:

  1. great review. beautiful swatches - wowza, the elf brozer is super pigmented!! thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review. Decided not to get this product. XD

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER