REVIEW: Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour in 89 Gracile

Monday, April 8, 2013


 

On a trip to the mall with my friend, I was distracted by the beauty counters of one of the department stores. You know that feeling. You shouldn't have even looked in that section!   

I'm just going to browse. I can't afford it right now. But looking? That's free! That's what I'm going to do. No guilt about that!

Then the next thing you know, you've chatted up the sales lady, tried on three different lipsticks at the counter, and are seriously considering taking home the newest makeup item/love of your life.
Crap!

It happens to many of us. My reasoning for this purchase? Although I have a few favorite rose and nude pink lipsticks, I lack a good pale pink lipstick. Pale pink is tricky to pull off since it's typically cool-toned and can make your teeth appear more yellow in comparison. Plus, if you choose the wrong shade for your skin tone, you'll look washed out and sallow. Been there!

One of the colors I ended up trying out and buying impulsively at the Nordstrom counter was Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour in 89 Gracile ($34), which I will be reviewing today.

Description

From the Chanel website:
"The next generation of ROUGE ALLURE dresses up lips with unmistakable attitude. A new formula with concentrated, ultra-thin pigments offer radically intense colour with full coverage and a satin finish. Leaves lips supple and protected with lasting comfort."


Packaging

The packaging, as with all Chanel products, feels very lux and sturdy, especially the cap. It's meant to stand with the lipstick part on top and the cap on the bottom. To use the lipstick, you press the top of the lipstick where the Chanel logo is. The lipstick pops up, and then you can pull out the lipstick part from the cap part. This is definitely the kind of lipstick/cap combo that will not accidentally fall apart in my purse. 



Pigmentation


Gracile is very pigmented and even leaves a light stain after it is rubbed off. In the container and when swatched, it appears as a satin medium pink with just a small amount of beige. When worn on my lightly pigmented lips, and with my NW23 skin tone, Gracile looks quite different, and appears as a neutral, luminous pale pink.


Wearability

The formula of this lipstick felt moisturizing, and was comfortable to wear. The staying power of the product was good. It lasted me about 4 hours (the most I get out of lipsticks that don't claim to be long-lasting) before it started to fade and feel lighter on my lips. Gracile was also easy to apply evenly. Aside from the packaging, the lipstick really stands out to me because of the color. Usually I don't think I can pull off luminous lip stuff because I'm afraid it'll look too flashy, but Gracile looks very subtle yet luminous on my lips.



Grade

A

This is definitely going into my lipstick rotation this spring. I love everything about it (except maybe the price)--the packaging, pale pink color that suits my skin tone, the feel, and the wear. This color would be great on those with fairer and neutral to cool skin tones. For those interested in purchasing, I recommend trying it out at your local Chanel counter first, because the swatch looked different from how it actually looks on the lips.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! The swatch really does look different! It looks so pretty on you! Such a spring color too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought this color last night. Super pretty on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the color is really pretty! The swatches don't do it justice!

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ADRIEN DESIGN . POWERED BY BLOGGER